[Yaesu] 817 or FT 100D

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 817 or FT 100D
From: rgus@manznet.com (richard)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:33:34 -0800
Question . . looking for experience . .

As a back up, take out and use portably, maybe mobile some.... . but out in
the forest, pull out and use when I 'have' to go some place I don't really
want to go, as a back up, using for demonstrations with my kids at school,
or dragging up Mt. Lassen a ways for Field Day . . FT 817 . . or FT 100D?

I have the belief that if the power were kept low . . 15 watt range . .
give or take . . with the FT 100D, a 12 volt gel cell battery would give me
at least a couple of hours operation . . and with the 817 I'd probably get
a couple days. I have not operated QRP so I don't have a feel for the
reliability of communications using something like the 817.

What experiences has the group had?
 Thanks,
 Richard
 WB6LUJ