RFI

[RFI] 1996 Lincoln Town Car

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] 1996 Lincoln Town Car
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 08:11:56 -0600
Hi--

Just wonder if there are any known issues about RFI problems on
AM radio with the Lincoln.   And if there is a site with some Lincoln-specific
info for solving RFI issues.

My uncle has a Town Car and AM radio is almost completely wiped out
in areas where other vehicles have no problems.  And with the ignition
OFF the Lincoln does just fine on AM.

There appear to be two issues.  The weaker one is engine speed related
and is probably alternator whine although it sounds somewhat different
than other vehicles that I have worked on.   Maybe it is just being masked
by the more serious problem which sound much more like computer noise
in that it sounds "digital" and varies quite a bit across the AM band.
Of course it appears to be worse on his favorite station.  He is in the
hospital now and on the chance that he will recover I thought I might
try to work on it since I will have it for a period of time.

This model uses a zig-zag wire in the rear window for an antenna.  I did
see something in the manual that indicated that a separate antenna could
not be used with this radio -- which I assume to mean that there is some
sort of preamp at the back window -- just that I have not had a chance to
look for it yet.

The hood and trunk are not RF bonded to the frame as far as I can tell.  And
I assume that the exhaust pipe is also not RF bonded to the frame.  So I
will do the bonding as an automatic first step.  Just wonder if anyone has
any specific things they know that help this problem.   This seems SO BAD
that I almost have to believe that something is actually wrong since at
night there are only one or two sky wave signals that you can hear over the
noise.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

73--John  W0UN