RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI from Astron power supply

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from Astron power supply
From: rrath@charter.net
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:28:53 -0700
The model is RS-35m. I have not made contact with the company, I thought
I would ask the people that use them first; to see what you have done to
remedy your RFI problem - - what works and what does not work.

The power company RFI guy and myself checked the S-unit noise level on
shore power and then hooked up to his power inverter from his truck. No
change. He then used his HF radio and a 102" whip -- for receiving -- and
the noise level; parked just outside the building and about 15' away from our
base radio, he had an s-7 noise reading. We then unhooked the p.s. from
the inverter and his HF radio dropped to an s-3 noise level. Re-hooked the
p.s. to his inverter and his HF radio jumped back up to an s-7 noise.

We started out with an s-30 to s-40. He did his hunting for the noise and
picked out 6 power poles within an 8 block area. The power company sent
out a crew to fix them. That was 3 weeks ago. We now have an s-20 to s-30
noise level. He picked out 3 more poles this week. We went thru our EOC
building by turning off all the breakers and turned one on at a time; waiting
about 3 minutes before turning on the next one. We did all this still hooked
to his inverter, running an extension cord thru the window. With the main
breakers turned off, we had an s-7 to an s-8 level. As we turned on the
breakers, the noise level started to climb to an s-20 to s-30 level.

Now you know the whole story.

Rod KC7VQR