RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI from Astron power supply

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from Astron power supply
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:02:57 -0500
Jim M -

I threw some stuff down about the Astron mods on
a website at:

http://www.dallas.net/~jvpoll/Astron/Astron_RS-35A_Mods.html

That's a good idea to place a spare 723 inside the
chassis; since that is really the only place I think I
use them around here I'm going to put one each
inside my 2 Astrons too. I'm also going to print
out a copy of the schematic and place that in
there folded up.

I got to thinking about the failure mechanism on those
Astrons; maybe the failure mode is not within the IC
itself (device failure) but perhaps it lies with the tin-lead
DIP leads and the socket on the PWB in the power
supply. Both my Astrons were picked up used and
one of them because it had 'failed'; one just had
a 'sag' in output voltage at only about 7 amps.

To that end I added some references to papers written
about contact issues on that web page too.

I've been using WD-40 as a poor man's contact
enhancer for years now, the PC I'm using right now
(a 500 MHz Pentium 3 with Win '98) has had it's
second application of WD-40 during a routine
maintainance dust suck-out a couple of years
back; no ill effects due to WD-40.

I applied WD-40 it to the Intel Slot 1 processor's
contacts, to all the RAM module contacts and all
PCI cards before insertion using a Q-tip.

I started this regimen on a 33 MHz 386 when I had
power supply connector issues (obvious heating/
discoloring of the contact pins) - and have used
WD-40 on all personal computer electrical contacts
since then. I also use it on RF contacts but I'll
save that dissertation for another time.

Jim P  //  WB5WPA  //