RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs

To: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, "rfi@contesting.com List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:57:50 -0700
This has been my experience here in Boulder, CO. In the past several years I have dealt with 3 halogen light power supplies, 9 grow light power supplies, one power line insulator, and one video camera power supply.

I was able to talk one neighbor into replacing his 12 volt halogen system with a 120 volt system which solved the problem.

I replaced the switching supply on another halogen system with a transformer and solved that problem.

The third halogen system was a desk lamp and I placed a common mode choke on the lamp leads and solved that problem.

A grower loaned me his kilowatt ballast and I was able to develop a lamp side filter that reduced the RFI by 30-dB. I applied that to five grow light systems and reduced the RFI to an acceptable level at my house. The other four growers moved away.

The video camera power supply RFI was reduced to an acceptable level with a common mode choke.

I built a LISN and determined that the grow light ballasts were violating part 18b specifications by 40-dB. I shared this technical information as well as the names of grow light ballast retailers and one ballast importer with the FCC Denver office to no avail. I had a two hour meeting with the engineers at the Denver office. Whereas they were sympathetic, nothing has happened from their office. One interesting point was that the meeting was ended because they had to track down a pirate radio station. We pointed out the irony of the concern for 10 kHz of the broadcast spectrum over concern of many kHz of the HF spectrum.

I, also, spoke with Laura Smith in the enforcement division. She said they were looking into tracking down some of the grow light ballast importers, but I don't think that is happening yet.

I think the bottom line is that the FCC is under funded and under staffed and we amateurs are a low priority. Maybe a concerted letter writing to our congressional representatives is in order.

Tom   W0IVJ