RFI

[RFI] Coupling methods for RFI emission testing on SPS

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Coupling methods for RFI emission testing on SPS
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 12:46:25 +0800
There are a few applications where I have needed to use a SPS and worried about RFI. My solution has been to compare the powered and unpowered spectrum on a SA, looking for areas where the floor is raised. Based on what I see on the SA, filtering is added to whack the noise. I also look (again with a wire loop moved over the circuitry) what the radiated level seems to be.

I generally couple the SA using a few turns of wire looped around the input wires, and later the output wires of the SA. If I can't see a lift in the noise floor, I will try a few more turns, or move the pickup wire along the wire a bit.

This test setup lets me judge the before/after effect of various combinations of filtering to determine which one actually serves best as the silver bullet.

It seems to work fine but what I don't know is "how much is too much" with respect to the raised noise floor?

I worry this coupling method is frequency dependent and in an absolute sense, I really don't know if what I am seeing is a bit insensitive compared to "real" antennas. Or if it is complete overkill (meaning the test setup is too sensitive).

Generally I will let a bit of a change in the nose floor (say 10 dB or so) slide, with the thought that a signal 10 dB above the floor sensed with a SA probe separated only a couple mm from the radiating conductor will be in the mud given real-life separate distances between the SPS location and shack antennas of a couple hundred feet, against a background of atmospheric noise. But I don't have any test data to say this is a solid assumption, or that 30 dB raise would be the acceptable limit, or that 1 dB is... The test criteria is too subjective.

Hoping one of you EMI/RFI pros out there may have some comments on how the big boys do it. Or maybe some other suggestions based on your experience.

Generally I try to use linear supplies whenever I can. But in a growing number of cases, SPS cannot be eliminated so I'm left to clean up the noise profile as best as I can and with the significant cost of ferrites I want to make sure I'm being efficient in what the target noise level needs to be. A guy can spend a LOT of money on ferrite and never know if it's adequate, inadequate or what.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie