RFI

Re: [RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI

To: "'Hare, Ed W1RFI'" <w1rfi@arrl.org>, "'<Rfi@contesting.com>'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J via RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 15:29:19 +0000
"... yes, they are changing their designs.  These field retrofits are
expensive."

Ed,

How expensive are the retrofit kits?

I was not talking about "expensive retrofits" being a design change.  That
indicates they are NOT changing their basic design at all.  By "Basic Design" I
meant it is redesigned so as not to need any field retrofits at all to work
properly without creating RFI.  Based on your posts it sounds like that's not
happening and not going to happen in the future.

The result of the original RFI design eventually being installed everywhere to
fight the "theory of climate change" is going to be exactly what I described in
my post.

In the future, hams will move into a house (with NO HOA or Covenant antenna
limits!) and find out too late that neighbor(s) have noisy RFI solar panels
installed years ago that he didn't see or notice.

Or in other cases someone wants to become a licensed ham operator and buys a
radio and puts up an antenna after spending months studying and getting his/her
license.  Then he/she learns the cause of their poor reception is RFI from
neighbor(s) solar panels that were installed several years ago.

In both cases, I very much doubt the installer or supply vendor is going to
provide a free expensive field retrofit to all the ham's neighbors who suddenly
have a new ham moving in next door many years after the initial installation.

The result of this scenario is the licensed ham will have to either pay for the
expensive field retrofit for all of his/her neighbors (possibly several or even
dozens of neighbors), sell the newly purchased house and move to the
countryside with fewer neighbors, or else give up on ham radio and get a new
hobby that doesn't have these expensive never ending RFI problems. (RFI grow
lights, RFI battery chargers, RFI wall warts, & many other RFI sources keeping
noise floor at S7-8 so he/she still can't hear most HF stations who live in the
countryside calling.)

Our amateur radio "technical pool" will continue to shrink even further than it
already has the last 30 years due to HOAs and covenants causing them to
eventually lose interest in participating in amateur radio at all.  I've
watched many hams leave the hobby for these reasons.  Most hams get into the
hobby to operate their radios, not spend most of their time tracking down RFI
sources or fighting HOAs.  Model railroading is beginning to look like a better
retirement hobby more and more every day.

73, de ed -K0iL
Ed Edwards