RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Update From Tesla: 12/26/19

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Update From Tesla: 12/26/19
From: "Cianciolo, Paul, W1VLF" <pcianciolo@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 14:59:51 +0000
Tony,

I did have a discussion with Ashley Holmen of Tesla, however the testing  you
mention is not quite correct.
I asked for a typical optimizer to do some testing with here at the lab, but
she is not able to provide.
Randy KQ6RS mentioned that he can lend one of these optimizers to the lab for
testing.

My direct question to Ashley concerning the optimizers was for her to contact
the engineering staff at Tesla and provide an answer to the question, does an
optimizer generate noise, if any, when the line tie inverter is turned off.
And what exactly is the nature of the noise. I have not heard back on that
request yet.

I received a PowerPoint presentation concerning noise generated by a SolarEdge
P320  from Randy KQ6RS that looks very detailed but I have not had time lately
read it thoroughly.
Randy did his testing with the optimizer "off" IE not producing an output to
the AC inverter.
I need to talk to both you (Tony) and Randy about this issue, and I apologize
things get very hectic around the holidays.

Things I think need to be clarified:

1) What exactly is the nature of the noise that Tony has? How strong is that
noise ?  Does it coincide with noises  seen Randy's PPT presentation?
2) Does the PV system near Tony actually still use the P320 ? My understanding
from SolarEdge is that the all the optimizers have been swapped out to the "new
spread spectrum" In fact changed out 2 times.
3) Assuming the noise Tony is hearing is being generated by a SolarEdge
optimizer (P320 or spread spectrum), and radiated by the associate wiring of
the PV system, is that high enough level to cause the interference at the level
that Tony is seeing.

I will try to contact both Tony and Randy this morning for discussion.
I am emailing SolarEdge for more details on which optimizer is actually
installed in the PV system near Tony.

73,

Paul Cianciolo, W1VLF
ARRL EMC Engineer

ARRL - The national association for Amateur RadioT
225 Main Street, Newington, CT 06111-1400 USA
Telephone: (860) 594-0392
FAX: (860) 594-0259
Email: w1vlf@arrl.org
World Wide Web: www.arrl.org