RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 21:31:24 -0500
I was very lucky a couple weeks ago when I was trying to track down some line noise. At one point, all indications were it was coming from a particular house. A walked all over the place with a VHF yagi tracker, even to the back side of that house, and it kept pointing to that house. So, I knocked on the door, and asked the woman whether she had any new or erratic devices, etc., keeping a safe distance from the door. (I had never met her before.) She gave me her phone number, and I later called her back. She was very cooperative, and even agreed to shut off her main breaker. Alas, it had no effect on the noise, so I apologized for the trouble. Obviously, that could have gone very differently with a hostile neighbor. Her dog didn't even bark at me.

The next time I went back there, the tracker pointed to a power pole across the street from her house, and has ever since. All I can figure is that there might have been multiple sources which added up in such a way as to make it look like it was coming from that house.

So now I'm back to doing battle with the power company.

73,
Scott K9MA