RFI

Re: [RFI] LED lighting fixtures -

To: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED lighting fixtures -
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 22:35:50 -0400
Hi Gary (and Frank),

I purchased a 4 pack of the Hyperikon HyperBY-4C-406 (SKU 841100608) LED
tubes based on Franks experience and I have good and bad news.  The good
news is that the new LED tubes don’t interfere with my oscilloscope like my
old LED tubes did, but the bad news is that the new LED tubes definitely
generate RFI which is most noticeable in the 30 and 20 meter bands but
probably acceptable unless your HF antenna is very close to your house
(especially house wiring).

I can hear the RFI on 30 meters using my portable HF receiver with portable
flag and preamp when standing outside my house 60 feet away from the bulbs
which are in my basement, and I hear the RFI when 30 feet away on 20 meters.

It appears a lot of the RFI is conducted back onto the power cord and when
time permits I will test the new LED tubes with both a common mode choke as
well as with a commercial differential power line filter to see what can be
done to mitigate the RFI in cases where it’s not acceptable.

I notice the new bulbs generate a lot of 120,  and some 240, 360 Hz .....
component when looking at the audio spectrum display on my laptop based SDR
receiver (similar to my old LED tubes).

Gut feeling is that the new LED tubes are better than my old ones, but
definitely not RFI free.

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)