RFI

Re: [RFI] Odd broadcast radio reception.

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Odd broadcast radio reception.
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 10:48:39 -0600
And now in this new 'digital age', most of us wish we had our old Novice
station.  At least I do.  The DX-40 kept my hands warm on winter evenings
in Michigan.  I didn't have heat in my bedroom other than the tube radios.
Only two 'crystals', 7180 and 7190.  Oh to relive those days.  And the
Heathkit AR-3 with it's single, yes, only one, IF stage and the BFO with
more 60-Hz hum than a clean tone - Heath cheated and ran one of the
filament voltages through the chassis.  Well, for a rank beginner receiver,
I guess I would too. - to save precious copper wire.  Heath recommended
using WWV (then back east) as a cal. standard.  But,......WWV appeared
every 455 kHz on the dial......  And my T/R  "switch" was a DPDT open
'frame' knife switch with a ceramic base.  Those were the days!!!!!

I have an NC-173 recapped and off-value resistors changed out for a
receiver.  This is what I 'really' wanted for a receiver as a Novice.  It's
not much by today's standards (my 7300 and 7610 or even the TS-130S), but a
far cry from that AR-3!!  No 'Novice' transmitter yet.  Based on prices and
what I see presently available, I may have to settle for a DX-60B as a
transmitter.  A friend and Novice across town had the DX-60B and an HQ-110
- with the clock.  Oh, did I lust after that transmitter and receiver.  He
worked all kinds of DX I couldn't even begin to hear.

Oh, yes, and should I mention we received more RFI from the old analog
televisions than we ever caused to that black and white broadcast service.

Yep, those were the days!

Dave - WØLEV

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 7:16 AM Joe <nss@mwt.net> wrote:

> When I was a Novice in 1975, I dreamed of having any of those "BAD"
> Receivers!
>
> My receiver was something like this,
> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~pIAAOSwB1VgjgPa/s-l1600.jpg
>
> AM only, the whole 40 meter band in a spot like 1/4 inch wide on the
> dial. That did not matter tho I only had one crystal 71056
>
> Oh yeah it was AM only, no BFO, Radio Moscow was my BFO.
>
> Joe WB9SBD
>
> On 7/6/2021 1:35 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> > On 7/5/2021 8:24 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:
> >> I venture a guess that my novice receiver was worse:  the Heathkit AR-3.
> >
> > The S38D was pretty bad -- as you sent CW, the frequency jumped around
> > a bit.
> >
> > 73, Jim K9YC

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*