RFI

[RFI] 7.2kv Single Phase

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] 7.2kv Single Phase
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 00:55:02 -0500
Fellow RFI hunters,

My latest source is s8-s9 nearly across the hf bands on my vintage TS830s and Doublet. I use the 830s mainly as a station reference when hunting RFI. I have triangulated it to a single phase 7.2kv pole */3 houses away./* Unable to hear it with Ultrasonic dish, although about 1/3 of the side of the pole is inaccessible due to a very jungle like backyard (bad renters moved out, owner died, house recently sold, long story).

It just has a insulator at top for single phase, pole pig fed by a short wire from the single phase, then lower 3 wires I am assuming lower voltages, neutral, ground, and 3 house drops.

Ive been looking at some pictures I took.

The stapled ground wire on the wood pole goes up to with maybe 2 inches of the 2 bolt metal bracket holding the top insulator on but does not appear to be connected. I can zoom in on the picture and see this.

So, does this strong an arc just about have to be on that insulator area of the 7.2kv or am I wrong and it can be in the ground system, 220v run, etc?

More detail here; https://www.qsl.net/af4o/Powerline%20RFI%20QSL.net%20Webpage/Fall%202021%20Source%202.html

I emailed the Utility this past Thursday about this one and another close by that I am hearing with the Ultrasonic.

73

Chuck

W4NBO