RFI

Re: [RFI] 7.2kv Single Phase

To: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 7.2kv Single Phase
From: Mike Martin <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 08:10:55 -0400
Going by your notes, a single phase pole with nothing but a pole top pin and a
ground is probably one of two things.
Most common and most likely would be the staple and they shouldn't be hampered
in they should be removed and replaced so the new staple is in fresh wood and
will be tight for a long time. The second source will be one of the bolts
holding the pole top pin. Commonly one is a through bolt that goes all the way
through the pole with a nut and washer on the backside and often the second one
is a lag which is no more than a very large wood screw that always comes loose.
At any rate I would suggest they tighten both pole top pins and replace the
Staples maybe the first three or four from the top. Sometimes hammering The
stables in will work and sometimes only temporarily. Other times not at all.
It's unlikely to be a tie wire or the insulator unless it's been struck by
lightning which is a possibility and frequently you can tell with binoculars
that the top of the insulator is now White where the coating has been burned
off of it by the lightning. If it's insulated conductor then that would be the
most likely source that isn't detectable with ultrasound, because the arcing is
through the rubber and on top of the insulator where it can't be seen. If it's
a bear conductor in the tide wire is insulated then ask them to remove about 4
inches of the insulation from the tie wire and twist that end of the tie wire
tightly on to the line and then that will solve that problem. I'd love to see a
picture of that pole standing under the line looking straight up so you can see
both sides of the pole.
At any rate these items will definitely cover that pole and you're fortunate,
if that is the source pole, to have such an easy pull to resolve an issue on.
Best wishes and I look forward to hearing the result

⁣Be safe,
Mike Martin
RFI Services
51 W Bay Front Rd