RFI

Re: [RFI] What would you do, and what do you think of the situation?

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>, "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] What would you do, and what do you think of the situation?
From: James Gordon Beattie Jr <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 18:07:55 +0000
David, Ed, et al,
Ed's advice should not be considered to be solid advice!

When I put up an EZ-way tower in my yard, my snarky neighbor asked me if I had
a permit for it.  I replied, "It has all the permits required."  This was true
because it was set in clay dirt and required no permit anymore than a swingset
would.

Then another neighbor across the street indicated that I was interfering with
his TV.  As there were no antennas or cables, I invited him into my backyard to
see for himself.  He walked away embarassed but determined, so I quickly
developed a plan.  I NAILED an aluminum snow coaster to a 2x4 and lashed it to
the top of the tower.  Sure enough, the next day he came by to complain about
the interference.  I told him that it was a dummy antenna and then showed him.
Again, I cranked down and tilted over the tower and showed him the snowcoaster.
 He was NOT AMUSED.

Next came real antennas and coax cables to the bottom of the tower and again
the complaints came.  So once again, I showed several neighbors the cranked
down and tilted over tower and antennas.  I made it clear at that point that
their complaints had no credibility and that they needed to contact the cable
company or the FCC.  I provided contact information for both.  Never heard
another direct complaint, but every so often they would call the police who got
to see my log clearly showing a pattern of harassment.

Fast forward a few years to the time when the FCC had to address cable tv
system leakage.  The contractor tightening the grounds went through our
neighborhood and did a poor job. I was able to turn the ground strap with my
hand.  I caught up with the guy and told him to fix this at EVERY HOUSE within
two blocks.  He redid several with mixed results.

Then one night I was laying in bed trying to sleep when my TV had RFI from
airplanes and from local PD mobiles at the cable tv head end site.  My phone
rang several times with neighbors calling me to get off the air.  I stood up
and yelled out the window across the street that I was in bed and then hung up
the phone.

The next day I called the cable company executive office and indicated the
scope and details of their issues.  They told me that the GM would never called
me back.  They had head-end system issues with their satellite feed and the OTA
feeds.  Further, they still had leakage issues.  I told the nice lady to get me
a call back to set up a plan or the FCC would be my next letter and call.  They
called me back.

The head-end issues were addressed and the remaining issues were inside the
homes with jury-rigged tv connections.  They agreed to make crews available on
our block on a Saturday to address any cable issues.  I let my neighbors know
and left it in their hands to address their issues with the cable company.
Several homes were resolved, and several more were not due to theft of services
issues within their homes.  I helped test those who needed help and the rest
remained in their state of misery.  Several more qere cleaned up by later
appointments.  That day thirteen cable tv company trucks/personnel largely
solved our block and the head-end OTA amplifiers were adjusted.  Finally, the
two C-band dish feeds had wasp nests removed, resolving their issues of RF
overload.

Now I live in the countryside with a wonderful power co-op and a local telco
that address intelligent complaints of their interference issues.  Life is good!

73,
J. Gordon "Gordie" Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
201.314.6964
W2TTT@ATT.NET