RFI

Re: [RFI] DEFINITION OF "HARMFUL INTERFERENCE"

To: Michael Martin <mike@rfiservices.com>, David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DEFINITION OF "HARMFUL INTERFERENCE"
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:42:54 +0000
This all actually started with Riley and a group of California hams. PG&E was
stonewalling resolving power-line noise and Riley agreed to write PG&E a
letter, telliing them that the FCC had received complaints, explaining the
rules and the FCC expectations that it will be resolved.  Over time, in back
and forth between Riley and ARRL's then RFI engineer, this built into an
informal program that added a lot to Riley's ability to continue to help
resolve RFI cases.

In that program, ARRL does do a lot of the ground work, but this allows the FCC
to concentrate its time on what only the FCC can do.  The League staff makes a
determination that the interference will meet the very loose FCC criteria for
being harmful interference.  We work with the ham to ensure that the correct
source has been identified and that reasonable efforts have been made to
resolve it.  If that last step is unsuccessful. we write a letter to the
operator of the noise source, under the wing of the agreement with the FCC.
All of this probably resolved about 50% of the cases.

Should all that fail, we then turn over a well-documented case to the FCC,
which begins by writing a letter worded very similarly to the one we wrote.
This resolves a number of cases, too, often getting the operator of the noisy
device to work with the ham.  The League then helps that ham work with them.

In an ideal world, the FCC would "do its job," but in practice, for the FCC to
act, every case would require an investigation by a field agent, to make a
finding of fact as to all of the things that ARRL helps determine.  With field
offices closing, as they have, those resources will not be available and most
investigations will not take place unless and until a field agent will be in
the area for something else.  And even then, we have seen a WIDE range of
results from investigations, so in reality, they are best avoided.

This process is the best way to manage limited FCC resources and ARRL has a
full-time EMC engineer working all of these cases.  We are long overdue for an
article; I agree, but finding the time to write the article and to then manage
a large influx of new cases may prove to be quite the challenge.  ARRL is
supporting the formation of RFI teams across the country.  These teams have
arisen organically, and ARRL staff are participating, with the expectation that
this ultimately could become a nationwide, organized process, but this needs to
be done cautiously. One need look no further than some of the misinformation
seen on this forum to know that, like FCC and utility investigations, there
will be a range of accuracy and results.

This is a challenge and one that will take me the rest of my life to get where
I'd like it to be, but that works out perfectly fine because that is exactly
how much time I have!

Ed, W1RFI