TopBand: Beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:54:03 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:43:21 -0500 (EST)
>
>In a message dated 97-11-11 03:50:59 EST, NI6T writes:
>
><< For example, VK0IR was noted on
> the west coast as coming in from the west or even more northerly, on
> both 80 and 160, although its SP direction was SSW. The sidelobe
> response of a Beverage to horizontal polarization may well explain why
> received signals here have often appeared to be coming from widely
> skewed directions. >>
>

>Not so!
>Skewed path is due to propagation being better, or pulled towards the equator
>(solar) as a result of better ducting properties closer to current solar
>equator. Usually happens at the beginning of the opening. This can be
>observed on other bands, I have seen it happening regularly on 40 m while
>using stretched full size Telrex beam, no confusion there with "other
>polarization coming from another angle".

Anumber of us in southern Arizona have noticed that the arrival
direction for top band signals from Europe can be 40 or so
degrees away from the great circle bearing (usually at the
beginning of a band opening).  We have also notices the skew at
times on 40M using Yagi antennas.  I don't think the top band
signals are horizontaly polarized sidelobe responses because they
are not there when we select a beverage pointing in another
direction that would (according to the models) have a similar
sidelobe in the reverse direction.  Sorry that sentence doesn't
make much sense but I have several people rushing me to drive out
to lunch and I don't have time to englishify it...

73,  Eric  N7CL