Topband: JT Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JT Report
From: jt1co@mongol.net (JT1CO)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:16:30 +0000
  Thought I'd type up a quick report while CQing on 1839 KHz.  It was a busy
but productive day.  We started the day per JT1CO by looking at his TH-11
which is not loading properly on 15 meters.  We found the 10 meter traps
turned around on the 15 meter director.  Once that was corrected, the SWR
dropped but it's 2:1 across the entire band with no dip.  Anyone have any
experience with this antenna? We also put up his 6 meter beam.
   While all of this was going on, I broke away to work on the Titanex.  I
was able to get everything connected just as the sun was setting.  However,
I was only able to tune it for 160. 80 and 40 meters will happen tomorrow.
   I did run into an unexpected problem.  JT1CO's amp only runs about 600
watts around 1830 KHz before the grid current gets too high.  After playing
around further, I noticed I could go higher in the band, 1875 KHz, and get a
full 1500 watts.  Here's a clue to the mystery.  The amp is made by Tokyo
Hy-Power.  Best I can figure, this thing is designed to run above 1900 KHz
for JA's per the old band plan.  So, I think what I will do tomorrow, is
tune the vertical for 1905.5 KHz so we can transmit there and listen down
around 1824 KHz or so.  I hope to start on the receive antennas tomorrow.

73
Ken JT1/K4ZW