Topband: Contest Problems

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Contest Problems
From: otterstad at enter.vg (Ragnar Otterstad)
Date: Mon Jan 27 13:23:42 2003
snip...

  I could not believe it, more than 70% of the European stations heard had
clicks more than 300 Hz up and down from the carrier frequency(Yaesu must be
the rig of choice), another 20% were obviously over driving
the amp as phase noise and crud were up and down 400 Hz at least.  The 10%
with good signals were definitely in the minority.

6.  The log this year goes in as a check log, as I gave up after eight hours
of the clickity-clack wall to wall mess.  I think I'll give the SSB test a
miss also, that will probably be MURDER!

In many countries of the world there are regulations regarding spectral
purity, certainly EEC harmonised EMC regulations require it if they are read
and interpreted correctly.  Other European legislation requires
manufacturers to fix problems to ensure that their equipment is "adequatefor
purpose", i.e., they do what they are supposed to and one thing they are
NOT supposed to do is fill the spectrum with clicks, noise and
God-knows-what-else.

------------------------

And I thought I wasthe only person to get sick and tired of this !!
Add an aggresive attitude dislayed by certain QRO stns ( club stations ?) in
the former Yugoslavia, who never stop CQ-ing for a minute so the DX stns can
be heard.

Perhaps we need to go SPLIT, where each continent had a frequencyband
allocation. The place I best could copy weak DX was above 1850!!  The European
"clickers" were CQ-ing like mad in the 1810-1840 segment.
Perhaps somebody with statistics over the participation per area could come up
with some suggestions for how much spectrum per segment/continent ?

Rag Otterstad    LA5HE also JW5HE OZ8RO
located in Telemark - home of skiing.

My antenna "farm" can be found on HTTP://no.photos.yahoo.com/la5he when you
click on  Radio.

Take a look at: http://WWW.visitTelemark.com

or  http://www.visitnorway.com