Topband: Contest Problems

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Contest Problems
From: kr9u at arrl.net (James Wolf)
Date: Mon Jan 27 20:00:59 2003
Tom,

I don't think you are advocating this but, I'd sure hate to see a grading
system without the numbers to back it up.  In addition to actual numbers?
Yes maybe, but let's not reduce rating radio performance to fitting into a
slot.

With todays measurement equipment, it's accuracy and ease of use, we should
expect an organization like ARRL, to promote the state of the art and to be
a leader in characterizing the performance of the equipment we use.  If we
are not going to at least attempt to be a good steward of our frequencies,
who will?

Jim, KR9U

format to actually measure bandwidth. One suggestion is rating various radio
technical performance areas as "poor, good, better, etc" and using plain
non-technical language to describe performance (rather than graphs or
numbers). This would allow people who are not especially technical to
understand the ranking of radios.