Topband: Contest Problems

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Contest Problems
From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue Jan 28 16:41:38 2003
At 06:42 PM 1/27/03 -0500, James Wolf wrote:
>With todays measurement equipment, it's accuracy and ease of use, we should
>expect an organization like ARRL, to promote the state of the art and to be
>a leader in characterizing the performance of the equipment we use.  If we
>are not going to at least attempt to be a good steward of our frequencies,
>who will?

I think the problem is less in the measurement than in the assignment of
the "letter grades."
Is 60 dB down at 1 kHz "good", "fair", or "very good"?  And is the ARRL
willing to run the risk of alienating the manufacturer of the Whizbang 3000
by giving it a "poor" rating on anything?  They had a hard-enough time
bringing themselves to run comparison tables on various transceivers and
other units, simply letting us seem comparable data actually compared.  I
hope they would be willing to address this challenge.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database has just been updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm