Topband: Using 1/2" PVC Conduit Vs. the Critters Who Eat Coax

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Using 1/2" PVC Conduit Vs. the Critters Who Eat Coax
From: K1ZM@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 20:46:37 EST
Hi Gang

Awhile back I sought suggestions on what to do about critters eating coax.
I was grateful for the help received and decided to try 1/2" PVC conduit as a
protective "cover" over the coax in my case.

I had two types of cable to protect - RG6 quad shield coax and RG213 - both
of which were quite LONG runs of coax.

1/2" PVC conduit is CHEAP at Home Depot - it comes in 10 foot sections, costs
98c per 10 ft length and it is swaged at one end allowing a nice "fit" where
two sections join - which can be taped over with PVC tape to hold the sections
in place after one has slid one piece into the swaged end of the next piece.

Like anything else, there is a learning process regarding installing this
stuff over a run of coax and here's what worked for me:

1) Lay the coax out along the ground first
2) Slide a piece of PVC onto the coax - swaged end first - to a point well
down the coax.  (The point here is to get MULTIPLE 10' sections onto the coax
line - I found I could work with as many as 6 sections at a time on RG6 - It
remains to be seen how many I can work with on RG213 at a time - I suspect 2-3
at
best - due to the larger diameter of the Rg213.)
3) Slide the sections of PVC into each other, getting a snug fit, then tape
over the joints with PVC tape to ensure they do not come apart.
4) Slide the connected pieces along the RG6 (or Rg213) - passing the coax in
front of you into the PVC with your left hand and pulling the PVC "chain"
along and over the coax with your right hand - please note that this is most
easily done while walking slowly along the run of coax laying on the ground and
sliding & pulling at the same time.
5) When you have moved a "group" of PVC sections to the far end of the coax
run, go back to the beginning end of the coax again and prepare a new group of
PVC sections (2/3 for RG213 or up to 6 for RG6) and repeat the process.
6) Do this until you have covered all the exposed coax you wish to protect
from the critters on your land

I was amazed to learn that I could slide first one, then two, then three and
finally as many as six connected sections over a run of RG6 coax.  YES, there
is far more drag with 6 then with 1-2 connected sections - but it is eminently
doable and I did it without oil, grease or any foreign matter to make the
process easier.

The verdict is not yet in regarding how many sections I can work with over
RG213 - but since the "fit" inside the PVC is far tighter, I'd be surprised if
it is any more than 30 feet at a time.

How LONG does it take?  Well, I managed to cover 1,700 feet of RG6 in 3 days
- I probably could have done it in two had I started the process doing 50-60
feet of connected PVC sections at a time.  I also was working in the pouring
rain as this needed to be completed prior to CQWW SSB and - well, you know,
sometimes you just have to "get it done".  The foul weather surely didn't make
it
go any faster!

Will the stuff REALLY work against the squirrels and other vermin?  Will they
MUNCH the PVC conduit as gleefully as they did the RG6 and RG213?  Stay
tuned.  I'll let you know after a year or so as I plan to inspect this
important
run of coax periodically over the coming months.

Tks again to those who helped with recommendations for this project.

73 JEFF

K1ZM@aol.com