Re: Topband: FT1000 Screws loose

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT1000 Screws loose
From: Steve Lawrence <smlx@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:27:51 -0800

On Feb 5, 2004, at 4:39 AM, Tom Rauch wrote:

One of the things I noticed installing mods in FT1000's is about half have
mounting screws holding the circuit boards that are loose. I never noticed
an operational problem from this.

Tom - My 1000D has been at Yaesu a few times. I had excessive gain in the Sub RX and the gain adjustment pot could not compensate. They had to change some fixed resistors which required removing the Sub RX board. It's likely that at board reinstallation the screws weren't torqued sufficiently.

As John, K9DX, says:

"I have found loose screws to cause birdies on 10 meters. The birdies are
not a clean notes, but a broad rushing type sound that raises the S-meter an
s unit or two."

This was my symptom. When it first cropped up, I thought it was some local old TV gone berserk. But a tap on the cabinet suggested otherwise. The really odd thing is that the problem started to occur several years after the Yaesu repair. The screws were probably torqued just enough during the repair but worked loose with time and temperature. My D has always been, as most, in a very benign environment. None-the-less, the problem was very noticeable. It was a real head scratcher for some time but I was pleasantly surprised to find such a simple fix.

To All: Whenever the cabinet is open for any reason, I'd recommend checking all reasonably accessible PC board mounting screws. It's just too easy not to do. (Caution: leave the PA transistor screws alone!)

73, Steve WB6RSE