Re: Topband: Receivers, Noise Blankers and Key Clicks

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receivers, Noise Blankers and Key Clicks
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:45:43 -0500
It's because of the noise blanker fellows. I can make a FT1000 series or
almost any Yaesu test anywhere from 60- 80 dB for IM3 by fiddling with the
bias on the NB amplifier FET. That why the best policy is to turn the thing
off whenever the NB is off by changing the circuitry.

The distressing thing to me is despite telling them over and over again it
is a problem, they keep copying the same design into new versions. Talk
about a Ford Pinto gas tank syndrome!

73, Tom W8JI