Re: Topband: Matching Transformer

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Matching Transformer
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:54:28 -0600
 I have installed a ground stake and taken the grounded end off of the vertical
counterpoise. No resistor installed yet. I also made
up and installed a current BALUN made from coax at the feed end.

The noise is much, much less now (abt S1 or less) and the sigs are still the
same as the vertical, except it seems to attenuate some
signals now that the vertical doesn't.

Example:
I am listening to VA7XX call cq 1.828.47 and on the vertical he is around an
S-7 switching to the wire I can barely hear him.

Someone wrote in off list and here is my reply:

> Is this "end" connected to GROUND then?

The feed end is connected to ground which is on the East end of the wire

> If so, that's not correct ... it should
> either NOT be connected, which makes the Beverage have an
> WEST-EAST pattern ...

> Or ... connected TO that grounding point with say a 470 - 600
> ohm resistor

So I should connect the feedpoint end (the east end) (the grounded end) thru a
resistor to ground and that will give it direction to
the East?

I thought it was the other way around, hope I have been mistaken, please
confirm.

Bob AD5VJ