Re: Topband: Matching Transformer

To: "lists@subich.com" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Matching Transformer
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:37:33 -0800
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:31:13 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Jim Brown said:

>> Au contrair!  See work by N6LF, which strongly suggests
>> that there are resonance effects, especially with only
>> a few radials.

>The only resonance effects occur when the radial system is
>insufficient to provide a proper return.  No matter the
>length of the radials, when there are enough radials that
>the spacing between the ends is less than the 0.03 wave
>rule of thumb.  A four or eight radial system is never
>going to behave a non-resonant (on/in ground system).

Yes. That's what I said -- "especially with only a few
radials." I'd bet that the vast majority of radial systems
consist of 4-8 radials. Remember that most hams live on
small lots. Yes, I have 60+ radials, average 75 ft, some
longer. I also have a couple of 500+ ft Beverages. But I
had to get to age 65 and 52 years of hamming, to have real
estate that allowed that. I'd bet that fewer than 1% of
hams can come close.

73,

Jim K9YC