Re: Topband: K9AY phased array

To: "G4GED Dave" <radiodave.g4ged@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY phased array
From: wa5pok@peoplepc.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:05:31 -0500
> > Was wondering to try a Wellbrook K9AY phased array.
> > Is there someone that have seen this or have already installed it.

 no
> directional properties and was pretty deaf. It wasn't faulty, worked
> OK on MW BC stations but not on TB. Could have been due to the fact
> that it was sited only about 15 metres from my Inv L? Tried detuning
> the Vertical on receive cycles but it didn't help.

I use the K9AY loop and one side of the loop is only 2 meters from
one elevated radial.
1. My inverted L is grounded during receive for noise reduction
(used info from ON4UN's book) and
2. When it becomes deaf or looses directivity, I have lost my ground
due to excessive dry WX.

Lots of watering of the ground and cleaning the ground rod restores
the operation of my AY loop.

73, Mike WA5POK