Re: Topband: K9AY phased array

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>, "La7tha" <la7tha@tussa.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY phased array
From: "Andy Ikin" <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:51:03 +0100
Rune La7tha wrote on the 10th August

"Hello all

Just found this antenna from wellbrok, K9AY phased array.

I have used homemade K9AY with ok result, since i have just moved to new
house and i now only using my remote station
i have non RX antenna.
Was wondering to try this one K9AY phased array.
Is there someone that have seen this or have already installed it."

Rune,

This is a very recent product, hence there are only 2 other installations
other than mine. One 4 K9AY array is in Montana and a 2 K9AY array is in the
UK. The one in the UK is working very well with a MW Dxer. I have not had
any feedback on Montana installation. I am currently awaiting the results of
a trial of a 2 K9AY array in Orcas Island WA, this array will be using
radials in place of ground rods. The ENZEC model says it should work; but
just in case it doesn't, I will recommend swapping out the K9AY for a 2 KAZ
( 15 x 60 foot ) installation using high gain Flag/ KAZ Head amplifiers with
matching/isolation transformers ( Wellbrook FLG100; Flag/EWE/KAZ/K9AY
amplifier ).

The K9AY array uses a similar Phasing Unit as the Wellbrook Loop array.
Users who already have the Loop array will be able to upgrade to the K9AY
array.

Btw, the array is sensitive to nearby metalic structures.

Andrew

Wellbrook Communications