Re: [RTTY] 160m in RTTY Contests

To: <w0yk@msn.com>, "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160m in RTTY Contests
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 01:07:10 -0500
I am in favor of adding RTTY. The 160m band IS under utilized except during
a few CW contests each year when the lower 100 KHz fills up with contesters
for a couple of nights.

The idea of having a 160m (single band) RTTY contest is intriguing. Adding
this mode to WPX or DX might not produce a huge turnout, although the
die-hard RTTY enthusiasts always seem to be "up" for any kind of competitive
event. An entirely new RTTY contest patterned after the Stew Perry Topband
Challenge scoring (more points for distance using Grid Squares) might
generate a lot of activity.

The two big hurdles I see are limited propagation for DX contacts and
limited space for 160m antennas for many stations.

Why should RTTY be used on 160m? To plagiarize a familiar vision statement:
To seek out new experiences and to boldly go where no one has gone before. I
thought this is what amateur radio was all about.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN