Re: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver

To: "VE6WZ_Steve" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver
From: "Price Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 22:31:06 -0600
> The Icom is long gone simply because compared to the FT-1000D (with the
> reverse modified APF) it could not copy the very weak signals bubbling at
> the noise that the Yaesu could.
>
> This report is all about the lack of an effective APF in the 7800.
>
> Before I am flamed, PLEASE PLEASE if you have never used the "original"
> Ft-1000d APF and or a "reverse modified" APF on a newer FT-1000d, then
> this
> report might not be relevant to you. This report has nothing do with the
> overall build quality, SSB capabilities, scopes, digital functions etc.
> The
> fact is, these radios are great in every other regard.  Also, if you never
> turn on the APF, don't typically use an APF to peak weak signal DX, or
> think
> an APF is too "ringy",  then this report is not relevant, and the IC-7800
> will be a fine radio for your needs. Not everyone likes an APF.

Hello Steve,

I have been using a FT-1000D on all band, mostly on 160 for many years.
The Rx is very good and the APF is fantastic.
If anyone has a later model with the APF modification or that was done on a
service repair,
I can give the original resistor valvues.
I  LOVE the original APF!!

73       Price WØRI

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK