Re: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver

To: "'topBand List'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver
From: wa5pok@peoplepc.com
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 19:32:01 -0600
I have used my FT1000 (only added all the CW filters as I could) and I
have not been disappointed. I have only compared it to an unmodified
R4C and while the R4C sounds nicer, it doesn't quite match the
FT1000 for performance. I will try that again when I get the Sherwood
mods in.

I did add a Timewave DSP-9+ to each receiver in the FT1000. The
difference, while not dramatic, was enough make the difference
between hearing or not hearing the DX and thus making the QSO. I
live on the typical 1/8 acer lot in the suburbs of Houston and the noise
can be very bothersome.

73, Mike WA5POK

> fine radio for your needs. Not everyone likes an APF.
>
> The DX signals I am talking about are those which are JUST AT or
> bubbling BELOW the noise level. These are the very weak signals which
> are basically ESP and you would normally just tune by. ****For all
> signals ABOVE the noise, both radios could copy equally well.*****
> Those very weak signals at the noise will "pop" out when the APF is
> engaged on the FT-1000d, but will remain unreadable on the 7800 with
> or without the APF. I ended up adding an external AUTEK audio peak
> filter to the Icom to emulate the Yaesu APF, and was able to reproduce
> readability between radios.....hmmmm I'm adding a cica 1980's analog
> audio filter box to a $10k radio??

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK