Re: Topband: 1820 BCB + My Problem Partially Solved

To: "Topband@Contesting. Com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1820 BCB + My Problem Partially Solved
From: Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 17:37:32 +0000
MW stations have been legally broadcasting in the so called X band from
1610 to 1710 since about 1997.

*On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Joe Giacobello, K2XX <k2xx@swva.net>wrote:
*

> *  You said it, Tim!  I started tuning around the AM band on Thursday and*

* noticed that in addition to the spurious AM stations on 1840, there were*

* several BC AM signals above 1610 KHz.  They shouldn't be there.*

*   Then I **noticed that my 4-square RX array had lost directionality.  I
use*

> * diversity reception on 160 and 80M with the array connected to my SDR-IQ
> *

* and main RX and a vertical on the sub RX.  Obviously, the SDR's output*

Even though I am about 100 km from the nearest MW transmitters, almost
anything I do that isn't a good connection causes all sorts of IM products.
 It's a constant battle!   Fortunately many of the small whisker diodes
that cause the issues are destroyed while transmitting, so while the band
may be full of products at the start of the contest, it quiets up once you
start transmitting.  But they start growing back after the contest....

73 Don
VE6JY
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK