Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:27:07 -0400
> "I've seen literally hundreds of improperly installed PL-259, type N and
> BNC
connectors."

I agree for the most part, but in the case of using "UG" reducers with a
PL-259, I believe there's a  better method over the "proper" procedure
supplied by Amphenol and the ARRL Handbook over the last several decades.

http://www.w5fc.org/files/how-to/PL259.PDF

It's a rare case, and in my initial review of the document, I was skeptical.
But after trying this method on several dozen RG-400 shack interconnect
cables, I'm convinced of the superiority of this method as it offers the
builder much greater quality control and work inspection.  The builder is
not left to guess about what's happening inside the connector when using a
reducer.  If the job isn't done right the first time, it's as easy as
spinning off the body and re-starting.  That cannot be easily done with the
"proper" method since it requires soldering the UG adpter into the four
holes of the PL-259 connector body.  Disassembly can be done, but with much
more work.  Of course, another alternative is to use crimped connectors and
avoid the reducer, but I don't like their use outdoors or on cables subject
to repeated handling at the connector.

Paul, W9AC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK