Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes

To: topband List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:37:44 -0700
I agree with Tom on the F-connectors.
I (now) have great results with the type-F connectors for my low band receive
antennas.
I was getting flaky connections with the connectors for some time and finally
got a decent
installation tool.  Got a good F connector compression tool, for $55.00 (ouch)
but now no problems.
I watched a DirecTV guy one day using his compression tool and realized that is
what I should use !

Bob
K6UJ

On Jul 13, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:

>> I also use phono connectors on some older radios. I'd prefer to substitute
>> BNC connectors but I don't want to modify the equipment.
>>
>> What I find helpful is to squeeze the shell of the plug so that it will
>> fit tightly on the female receptacle and cover the shell with heat
>> shrinkable tubing so that the pressure is always applied to the
>> connection.
>
> That's exactly what I do periodically when the connectors lose tension. I
> also use CM chokes (beads) near connectors in case they develop a little bit
> of resistance. Overall, I have few problems.
>
> If you want a very reliable connector style for receiving, use a type-F
> cable. Stay away from BNC's and other spring pressure connectors. Not only
> is cable prep fast, and cable readily available, everything is dumbed down
> to suit Larry-the-cable-guy.
>
> 73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK