Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:51:04 -0400
Frank, I respect your input.

In my situation I have no control over RF grounding of the equipment since
the foundation is sitting in a hole blasted out of rock. Dirt all over the
property is only 1-2' on average.

The connectors are properly made and the cable was new Belden.

The VSWR is not perfect at the high end of the 40-10M yagis which may
contribute to some early TVI complaints and beads were used at all feed
points.....maybe not enough as all I had back then were the large 43 mix.

I realize that in an ideal pure science world that Tom keeps rambling on
about that beads in the shack arent required.

OTOH for me they worked which is all Im really interested in. The TVI went
completely away and allowed the station to compete in just about every major
contest for 10 years or so without a telephone ringing once. Ive no idea if
they are still needed with DTV, there are still a few stations on the lower
VHF channels and not everyone is on Cable. If they help keep the locally
radiated crud off the shield thats a bonus; it certainly works on the
Beverages and Im relatively noise free on the TX antennas.

Carl
KM1H