Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes

To: <mstangelo@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:08:47 -0400
> I also use phono connectors on some older radios. I'd prefer to substitute
> BNC connectors but I don't want to modify the equipment.
>
> What I find helpful is to squeeze the shell of the plug so that it will
> fit tightly on the female receptacle and cover the shell with heat
> shrinkable tubing so that the pressure is always applied to the
> connection.

That's exactly what I do periodically when the connectors lose tension. I
also use CM chokes (beads) near connectors in case they develop a little bit
of resistance. Overall, I have few problems.

If you want a very reliable connector style for receiving, use a type-F
cable. Stay away from BNC's and other spring pressure connectors. Not only
is cable prep fast, and cable readily available, everything is dumbed down
to suit Larry-the-cable-guy.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK