Re: Topband: DSL knocks out when on TopBand

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DSL knocks out when on TopBand
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 06:21:06 -0400
On 7/16/2012 10:36 PM, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:
> Herb (& others) —
>
> I struggled to keep my 160- and 80-meter RF out of my DSL equipment for a
> number of years.  Multiple turns of all cables in/out of the DSL modem
> (Siemens Speedstream) on #31ferrites, etc.  The best progress occurred when I
> wrapped the modem in common kitchen aluminum foil and very carefully attached
> a ground wire to the foil.  (Use very big flat washers on both sides of the
> foil!)  But I still experienced occasional disconnects.
>
> This past year my telco started supplying Westell Model 7500 DSL modems to
> new customers and my favorite telco tech saw that I got one, too.  I haven't
> observed a single DSL outage since then.  And I haven't even wrapped it in
> aluminum foil!
>
> Other things that will help:
>     *  If you can do it, relocate your incoming telephone line and/or your
> 160-meter antenna (and its radial field) for greater separation of the two or
> for altered orientation between the two.
>     *  Get your 160 (and perhaps 80) antenna farther from both the outdoor
> telco line and the indoor telco lines (i.e., your house).
>
> Bud, W2RU
>
> On Jul 16, 2012, at 9:34 PM, KL7RA wrote:
>
>> I solved this exact problem by blowing up the DSL modem on 160 and
>> ACS came out with a new one they said was more RFI proof and it was.
>> Westell is on the factory logo.

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions.  It is interesting that
nobody suggested the K-Com or K-Y filters.  I looked up the Westell 7500
and see that it is a modem router with no provision for a telephone like
my present DSL modem has (Zhone).  My modem is a simple pass through
unit that separates the telephone service from the internet and provides
me a single RJ-45 that goes to my router. I am left with putting ferrite
cores on the power cable from the wall wart and I will also plug my lap
top directly into the unit to see if the 60 foot CAT 5 cable going to
the router being removed has any effect.    Then I guess the aluminum
foil shielding or even building an aluminum enclosure with all leads
filtered may be what I have to do. I will also ask the DSL provider if
they have any newer modems.

Thanks again for you help on this problem.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK