Re: Topband: DSL knocks out when on TopBand

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DSL knocks out when on TopBand
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:04:33 -0400
Thanks to all who replied with ideas to make TB operation possible with
a DSL here.  It appears that some boxes are better than others so I am
starting to compile a list of the good ones.  I am also planing to get
some shielded drop wire from the pole.  The local provider has only
unshielded devices (Zhone) which is a simple device for a phone plug and
a single RJ-45 to go to your router.  On line there are many devices
called filter/splitters but I don't think these are true filters but
seem to be a device to separate analog telephone audio from the DSL ISP
singles. So far so good but I had heard that some companies want to add
ADSL-2 Plus which uses frequencies all the way up to 2.1 Mhz.  Now I
don't know how a company can legally  market produces that just won't
work near a radio station because these devices are receivers for the
very frequencies the interfering station is licensed to transmit upon.
For the later ADSL-2 Plus there is no known cure for such a radio
receiver hooked to miles of copper and able to receive signals precisely
where you are transmitting. Maybe if the whole service was placed
underground from plant to home....or if they go the whole route of
direct fiber to home there might be some light at the end of the
bundle.  (Pun intented)

With the expansion of DSL services phone companies are offering cable,
video, telephone bundles that customers may find attractive but may
prove to be a nightmare for top operations.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK