Re: Topband: DSL knocks out when on topband

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DSL knocks out when on topband
From: "Keith Jillings (G3OIT)" <g3oit.keith@jillings.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:22:26 +0100
On 17/07/2012 16:45, Tom Boucher wrote:

> On the recommendation of John G3PQA, I recently changed my router from a
> D-Link unit to an ADDON NWAR-3670 which appears to have much better RFI
> immunity. I'm not getting any dropouts at all now and I do not have an OZ1CTK
> type filter in line, just some ferrite rings of unknown origin on all the
> lines in and out. With the old D-Link router the internet connection would
> drop when running 50W on 160 or 80 even though my antennas are some 3 or 400
> feet away from the house and 'phone line.
>
> Some of the newer modems are plainly more RFI proof.

I've never had the problem with the Draytek I bought some years ago to
overcome the problem of a weak signal at the end of a long line from the
exchange.  Previous modems needed rebooting after any activity on any of
the amateur bands.

I keep the laptop in the shack (which is in the garden) and had to use a
lot of ferrite to stop that making rude noises in the receiver, and the
transmitter causing the laptop to crash.   The desktop PC in the house
is about 60 feet from the antenna, and is "no factor".

I heard today that WiFi in the village where we have our holiday cottage
has become almost unuseable, car remote locking devices now don't work,
most people suffer TVI, and wireless doorbells are unreliable.  Nobody
knows why, although my neighbour did remark that the water company has
just put up a big mast with a log periodic on it.

There was a movement to blame me, but he explained that I don't have any
equipment there.

73

Keith  G3OIT
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK