Re: Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 18:28:22 -0400
Mr. Fry supplies a monolithic, complete fill up to three degrees at some
unspecified frequency over unspecified ground out 2.8 km.  The difference
between that and the NEC pattern generated for 1/4 wave over 120 0.4
radials at three degrees elevation is over seven dB.  That is a LOT of
fill.

I recently modeled the WLS-AM radiator, using the dimensions and ground system provided by my former supervisor, Warren Shulz, who recently retired from WLS after working for more than 40 years in Chicago broadcast engineering.

When using NEC 4 during the WLS modeling, the vertical profile also shows (as expected) an infinite notch at zero degrees elevation over moderately good soil. What the far field model of NEC does not show is the significant radiation at low elevations. For that, a surface wave tool is required like the one that comes with 4Nec2.

If we were to only believe in the NEC far field computation, AM braoadcast would have met its death in the early 1920s -- for nobody would be able to hear the stations except at night when the upper angle radiation could utilize the ionosphere.

To get a complete picture of the vertical profile over soil really requires a meshing of the two data. So far, I don't think any of the modeling authors have expressed an interest in creating a hybrid analysis tool. NEC is providing the raw data and its accurate. But we need a better form of display that integrates the far field with the surface wave.

As W8JI pointed out, this is nothing new. Academics like Terman, BL&E, et. al. were teaching it back in the early 1930s. But we've become firm believers in the typical vertical profile field plots when the only accurate vertical profile result from a vertical radiator is produced from a vertical over a super-conductive surface like salt water. There's nothing wrong with the far field plot, but we should realize its limitation in the context of the vertical profile, especially on topband.

Paul, W9AC

Remember the PreStew coming on October 20th.  http://www.kkn.net/stew for more
info.