Re: Topband: [Bulk] Outdoor rope suggestions

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Outdoor rope suggestions
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:55:53 -0700
Over the past 25 years, at 3 QTH's, I've used thousands of feet of the synthetictextilesinc.com 1/4" and 5/16" and have been very happy with it. Tough, strong, and lasts a very long time (MA winters, CA sun). I do use 29/30mm ball bearing pulleys (blocks) from Harken HAR340, RonstanRF20100 (20mm ok for 1/4" line), or Lewmar 29901341 ($15, best deal) on the antenna hoist line and the support point has been an eye bolt in/thru the tree, tower, or telephone pole. With plastic balls, they never seize up and the reduction in friction and line wear is huge. If the support line is over the branch it usually gets stuck from pitch, the tree grows onto it, or it wears, so I don't use a branch as a pulley. I use paracord as a pull down line on the insulator so the end of the hoist rope can be retrieved when the antenna breaks w/o a tree or tower climb. Of course any line will wear and fatigue over a pulley so moving the line a foot or two every year or so helps.

ebay lines I've bought have been cheaters on diameter or not really dacron/polyester. A tree climb is $100 each here, so I spend a few bucks for something that lasts.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA