Re: Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, JI Charles <w8ji@w8ji.com>, low bad reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 13:16:35 -0400
 Just my  .02

Some call them Tomatoes some call them Tomottos

but even those fruits come in different size and texture  .

 When I built my station @ this QTH  4 guyed towers  with broken up guys  502
insulators and

a PRE Formed guy Fasteners . A fellow FRC member had a source for 5000' rolls
of 1/4  Strand and 502 insulators
and these  GUY grips  that are used in the Cable industry...  from pole to pole
to support the cable.

These  grips had the 4 twisted wire with yellow tag

I had access to the Quality  Control Lab @ the Mack  Trucks test lab,

We first tested  Rohn 1/4 EHS.   to facilitate the pull  I installed 3  Press
furls on each end

 all test were repeated 2X

The EHS began to stretch twist and fracture @  9K  and fail @ 10.2K  lb pull

Rohn PLP BIG GRIP (5) strand , with a length of  1/4 EHS   and the same furl at
the end
                    never failed with the EHS stretching and failing at  11 + K
lb pull

now the  Shorter 4 strand twist yellow tagged  with the same length EHS ( 16"
exposed if my memory serves me )
                     This to never Failed  and the  1/4  EHS  both times
failing .

We painted layout dye on the 1/4 ehs/grip ends  looking for pull out   NONE was
found on either  DEAD END

the guy grip loop end was around a solid 1 .250  rod to mimic a 502 or Rohn
tower leg  or HD thimble.

I tried Thimbles  but the press destroyed them in the  clamp down securing
phase .

Conclusion .... 4 towers 180 plus guy grips   All 4 strand DEAD End type

and 25 years and  all A - OK... I even caught a lower level guy on my ROPS bolt
on my BIG tractor

pulling so hard till I got to stop it Ripped the joint open and bent it 70
degree on ROHN 25  !!!!

AND DID NOT FAIL..... It's length was 73' with two 502's attached directly to
the tower leg and three way equalizer plate.

MY  .02