Re: Topband: Top Band and JT65

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Band and JT65
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 17:45:33 -0400
Mark,

Very well said, but unless you consider the JT modes in a different class still than RTTY and PSK, except for mixed mode awards/contests, there is already a level playing field.

Mixed is, well, mixed, but everything else is separate already. One cannot apply for an SSB award with JT QSOs. One cannot compete in the CQWW SSB using RTTY.

The distinction you make about computer assisted modes is a good one, otherwise a 'crazie' could say that CW should not be a separate category, but be in the digital one. :^)

As for the use of remotes, they can be an issue in large countries. A guy in San Marino, operating his home station remotely from his cottage in San Marino, is not the same as a guy in Halifax, operating his home station remotely in Vancouver. It's perfectly 'legal' under current DXCC rules, but some will say it's unfair to the San Marino ham.

I was only making the point that things can change, not that they need to change. For me everything is fine as it's currently in place, live and let live, yada yada, but I accept your point that as technology advances and/or destroys the status quo, the existing rules need to be revised.

73 de Vince, VA3VF