Re: Topband: K9ay loop not performing

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9ay loop not performing
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 13:54:09 -0500
The need to disconnect the feedline shield is to block common mode signals.
A K9AY approved **EXCELLENT** common mode block (not a regular "balun" with
likely awful blocking on 160m), or (GASP) an isolation transformer will
take care.

In the case quoted, with the coax center contductor opened, the
stinky-on-160-blocking "balun" is how the noise gets in. Further since Pete
saw a 4 S unit drop by simply disconnecting the TX wire, it's likely that
his common-mode provision, even if not intended as such, would appear to be
satisfactory, and therefore a double pole relay (lot more expensive) is not
called for.

73, Guy K2AV