Re: Topband: ARRL CW Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL CW Contest
From: Fred Moeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 07:36:25 -0500

Signals last night in Ky seemed better to me.

Many strong signals ...EI7M was very strong here among others.

Lots of very weak stations that must have very good RX antennas was I surprised that I was able to work them...and most were running a KW.

Some signals were very strong on the K9AY loop...not sure what that tells me ....maybe signals coming in at high angles?

I heard Roger last night I called but he was too close to a very loud local and he kept returning my call.

Had fun fooling around in the contest I worked just over 50 on 160.

My area in KY is in a building boom.

Lots of farms being turned into neighborhoods.

Three major developments close to me ...two within a 1/4 mile... each with 150 each or so houses.

And the other one is abt 1/2 from me with 1100 big houses.

The QRM is really starting to rise.

I now have a very loud buzz on 160 80 and a little on 40....80 and 160 are S7.... I never had this before.

I'm hoping this is something the contractors are using...maybe big salamander heaters??

It comes and goes and eventually goes off at night...maybe a hour after dark.

So looks like this spring/summer will be trying out new RX antennas to cope.

73

Fred KB4QZH