Re: Topband: removing ft8 from dxcc waz was etc

To: Glenn Wyant <va3dx@sympatico.ca>, Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: removing ft8 from dxcc waz was etc
From: Martin Kratoska <martin@ok1rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 18:48:24 +0100
First - before any comment: I thoroughly tested FT8. Trying to "be on" since the very first steps of FT8. Made some ~3000 QSO with 150 countries DXCC. Studied the protocol into depth to understand what does the tricks to resolve very weak signal. Using the best available sound card - the Asus Xonar U7 with its famous Burr-Brown AD and DA converters. All works in Linux, no gimmicks here. Also compiled the sources by myself, the deb packages are made for Ubuntu but my Debian 10 does not like them. No problem, I am very experienced Linux user, also former computer-pro. That's testing bench here.

Without separation of the meat from the bones: the software is an excellent example how should be it done! It is a real masterpiece, hat off to the authors team!

Anyway, the FT8 main principle is "confirmation of expectable". This overcomes the unnecessary redundancy, but at the cost that no QSO except the "precooked" one is possible. You should note that the first versions of WSJT had problems with unusual calls, I was unable to air my special call OL100R.

The cost paid for "weak signal" functionality is simply too high. The operator can't do anything other than clicking to station wanted to QSO. There is some split needed but the choice of split "deviation" is all what the op can do. Thus, a QSO can be never a fully featured chat, in contrary to RTTY, PSK31 or others where is possible to say hello.

All such features are highly attractive to the new operators who does not know the code, who never learned the adventures with weak SSB signals. These guys are not comparable with us, they are different from us, they are NOT HAMS, they are just radio users. I don't care if someone finds my words offensive. Everybody can learn the code (yes, there are some 7% who can't, due to health reasons), who can't learn the code is probably able to speak so he can operate SSB. The main reason to become "FT8 only" is the LAZINESS which I find unacceptable. Period.

I am ham because it's hard, not because it's easy. See the True Blue DX club and its motto (https://www.tbdxc.net/). I am founder member, #4. Again, I am NOT biased against any mode. Do you like it? Do it! Do you count this as old dog's new trick? Well, do it, go ahead! (BTW there are more old dogs, some of them are happy to do old tricks in the same way as they did 50 years ago. As Vern Kaspar, W9FAM did! They still going strong, some of them unfortunately only in my mind, in my memories)... But I never accept/take part in a bicycle race where some participants using motor bikes. Now you know why I dislike FT8. My attitude to this mode is NEUTRAL, I HATE "FT8 only" radio users promoting themselves as hams (radio amateurs).

73,
Martin, OK1RR
https://www.qrz.com/db/OK1RR