Re: Topband: PL259 type connectors for RG11

To: Raymond Benny <rayn6vr@gmail.com>, 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: PL259 type connectors for RG11
From: Rick Kunath via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 15:39:36 -0400
DX Engineering has some that would work I think. It's a crimp on the shield and a soldered center pin.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-pl259cs8u-12

Not sure if that would work for your application? I suspect that the larger sized center pin needed for 50 ohms would make a crimp to the center pin problematic on 75 ohm cable in a 50- ohm connector.

I've never used these connectors before but I might now that I see them.

Any cables I make up with PL-259 connectors i have been soldering both the shield and the center pin.  On the shield end I strip the jacket and flux and tin the braid. Then I measure for center pin length, and use a tubing cutter to cut the tinned shield to the right dimension, clean the cut edge to remove any bits of metal and screw on the PL-259. After that I remove the tip of a Weller 125 watt soldering gun and after fluxing the 4 solder holes in the PL-259 I bridge the connector across the soldering gun ends where the tip usually goes. The connector becomes the tip, heats up quickly and a quick application of solder and its soldered all around. I let it cool before moving it and then quickly solder the center pin and trim it.

I've had good luck doing that over the years (so far).

For N connectors it's always a shield crimp but I solder the center pin on.

Rick Kunath, K9AO