Re: Topband: Balloon Supported Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Balloon Supported Vertical
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:17:49 -0400
Dick,

I see you're getting some replies trickling in already.

Two feet won't do it I don't think my friend....not even close.

In 1997 @ CY9AA (St. Paul's Island) we had a balloon supported 160m vertical
using a very fine uninsulated wire (and I think maybe kite string too).  I
was not in charge of this part of the expedition (VE1PZ was our topband guy)
but I am pretty sure we used a 4-5' - "rubber"  balloon. (could've been
latex or something similar)
We eventually lost our balloons to sharp rocks, so lacking any other method
or access to a store, hi) we blew up a few green garbage bags,
(doublebagged) which surprisingly lasted a few hours or maybe more..where
there's a will, there's a way.

We were pretty loud in EU and elsewhere, right over salt water.

I think Doug (VE1PZ) went to a specialty (welding?) store to get the gas.  I
have no idea what it was-pure helium I presume, but you can see the orange
tank in one 24yr old photo here:
http://www.uksmg.org/content/cy9photo.htm

Good luck !

Mike VE9AA..ex cy9aa, cy0aa

Greetings All

I want to try a balloon supported Vertical for 160.
Any advice on sources for balloons? Mylar material
and diameters up to 2-feet would be my choice.

73. Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB