Re: Topband: Balloon Supported Vertical

To: "160" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Balloon Supported Vertical
From: "m.r.c." <mrc02@kinderteacher.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 17:04:41 -0800
Look into the sources of advertizing balloons.  I bought one shaped as a
dirigible about 25 years ago to
lift my vertical.  It was moderately successful for the HS72B operation, but it
was quite a lot of
commotion and trouble and cost.  I do not recall the size of wire I used, but
it was not small # 18, but
then, the dirigible was a net size of about 4 or 5 feet.

Long before that effort (nearly 60 years ago, now that I think on it) , I
tried a weather balloon, and I
made my own hydrogen ( out in the desert with no-one else around and nothing to
burn)-  it was a rather
complete failure for reasons evident in the after analysis -  the mix of Sodium
Hydroxide and aluminum
chips made hydrogen just fine..  but it was not filtered and the Sodium
Hydroxide rode some of the chip
pieces up into the balloon and ate holes in it.  Predictable, but then, I was
using late teen grade
enthusiasm to drive the decisions.

ALL  - ALL!   Balloon-Dirigible lift systems are GROSSLY impacted by wind  -
anything over 3 or 4 kts
makes the vertical very much not vertical.  stabilizing anchor ropes add weight
and any tension is
translated into effective weight.

Aluminum pipe/rod and steel may sound more expensive, but the bottom line is
that it works and is
reasonably predictable.

Balloons within our general price capability are pretty nearly universally
unsatisfactory.  and your
insurance carrier will NOT be pleased when the balloon breaks the wire at the
bottom and drags it across
a half dozen power lines.  Even if they are miles away, that trailing wire will
get there rapidly under
the influence of as little as a 10 Kt wind.......

The Titanex verticals DO work (anybody still have one of the 96 footers still
whole?)- careful use of
flex tolerant tubing and guy points will make a quite effective vertical in a
relatively small ground
area.

even better, build a small but climbable cross section tower (even guyed with
ropes if temporary) for
about 60-70 ft and stick aluminum tubing out the top
(I speak with considerable experience -  that's the antenna approach we used at
XZ0A, thanks to N5IA (SK)
and G3NOM (SK)....

Robin, WA6CDR
XZ1N