Re: Topband: F connector how-to video

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: F connector how-to video
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 09:58:35 -0700
One thing I did not mention in my video is that not all RG-6 is not the same.
(obviously)
Beside quad shield vs single shield, and flooded vs not, the jacket design can
really effect things.
I have used all of the above, and mostly use flooded quad shield now.

However, some cable is more “forgiving” when trying to get that connector on.
It seems some of the direct burial cable has a very tough, almost rigid jacket
that seems to resist expansion when pushing the connector on.
On the other hand, some indoor cables seems more soft and pliable and the
connectors slide right on.
Also, it's seems that some cable designs are more prone to having the shield
catch and bunch up.  Maybe the shield stands are to more tightly bound to the
centre conductor?

When you find a cable that you like, stick with it!

The wonderful thing about RG-6 is that it's very affordable simply because it
is so mass produced to meet the needs of the cable TV/internet market.
Great stuff for feeding our RX antennas.

73, de steve ve6wz