Topband: ARRL 160

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160
From: Ron Spencer via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 08:55:10 -0700
Re Packet and the contest

May not be of interest to everyone.

Sat evening around 0010 or so, had been running with a nice rate. Then a dupe.
And another. And yet another. This continued for around 15 minutes until I
finally QSY'd to escape.

My guess of what happened: someone spotted me but with an incorrect call. On
all those using packet, a new call popped up. They clicked on it, dumped in
their call. Typically I work all dupes and,  for the first few did but, as the
volume grew, I replied with their call, mine and "B4". Most went away but a few
insisted on a Q.

In addition to showing how far our hobby has sunk, isn't it the responsibility
of the calling station to actually copy the call sign? Many of the stations
that duped me were very recognizable stations. Again, guessing, they were
running SO2R, clicked on the spot, called and expected a quick Q. NEVER
bothering to check accuracy of packet spot. Is it a valid contact if you don't
copy the actual call sign? Even if the call was correct on packet. Or are we
moving towards letting the computer do most of the work?

Sure would be interesting if more contests were like the Stew Perry where no
spotting assistance is allowed. You have to actually copy the information......
Yes, I know. A radical idea.

Ron

N4XD
Sent using https://www.zoho.com/mail/